The Diploma in Early Childhood Education programme aims to provide professional upgrading opportunities for existing preschool teachers who do not possess diploma qualifications. This is in line with the government’s policy to equip preschool teachers with a minimum diploma qualification. Specifically, it equips students with knowledge, skills and competencies for them to be employed in childcare settings and preschools. Upon completion of the programme, graduates should be able to:
demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the core knowledge areas;
apply knowledge and understanding to provide developmentally appropriate learning experiences for children’s development from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia;
create, provide and maintain a safe, healthy and nurturing environment where children from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia learn and develop;
demonstrate commitment to professionalism in values, attitudes and ethics;
communicate effectively with children, colleagues, family and the community;
apply problem solving, self-reflection, scientific skills and creative thinking in the care and education of young children from birth to the age of 6 years old in Malaysia;
resource, select and apply information to enhance early learning and self development; and
exhibit basic managerial and entrepreneurial skills in early childhood settings.
Entry Requirements for Diploma in Early Childhood Education
Candidates with the following criteria will be eligible to be considered for admission into the
(1) Regular Entry
Candidates must possess a minimum of:
– A pass in SPM or its equivalent, with a minimum of 3 credits in any subjects; or
– A pass in Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) or its equivalent, with a minimum of Grade C (GP 2.0) in any subject or its equivalent; or
– A pass in Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) with a minimum grade of Maqbul; or
– A pass in SKM level 3 in Early Child Care / Preschool and pass SPM with a minimum of 1
credit in any subject; or
– A Certificate in Early Childhood Education or its equivalent; or
– A Certificate in any field or its equivalent
(2) Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)
Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) provides an opportunity for individuals with working experience but lack of formal academic qualifications to pursue their tertiary studies.
APEL involves the identification, documentation and assessment of prior experiential learning o determine the extent to which an individual has achieved the desired learning outcomes, for access to a programme of study.
Applicants should comply with the following admission criteria stipulated by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA):
– The candidate should be at least 20 years of age in the year of application and possess relevant work experience.